I work as an IT consultant and Software Developer.
I have been helping business and government for over 25 years now.
I only work with a small number of carefully selected clients and only handle a small number of projects concurrently.
This allows me to provide extremely rapid response times and to offer responsive development and support services.
I mostly work remotely with clients all over the world and I am happy to travel as required.
I am located in Australia or Switzerland for most of the year.
I offer bespoke software development, these days most of my work is in PHP creating complex Intranet/Internet websites to rapidly enable business to offer products and services.
I also develop in C++ & Mono when required for cross platform desktop applications or embedded systems.
Put simply, I create the kind websites and applications that you use every day on your phone or computer.
I also act in the role of IT consultant, I have a wealth of experience covering a range of subjects including Security, Hardware & Software selection, Networking & the Internet.
My style as a consultant is to ensure I fully understand your requirements and then to research the best available technologies before making any recommendations.
Many consultants just recommend Brand X because they know it whereas I have no allegiance to any particular brand or technology , I recommend solely based on fitness for intended purpose.
How I can help your business.
- Firstly I will only work with you in a win/win situation. I'm never trying to take advantage of anyone and I will not allow myself to be taken advantage of.
- I have a wealth of experience in many different fields. I have over 20 years of experience in the IT and Software development fields.
- However my experience has shown me that the only consistent thing is change. There is no single solution to any problem. Every problem needs to be carefully analysed and taking into account the proven technologies and the latest cutting edge technologies a recommendation has to be made for the best way forwards.
- Every time I consult for a business I do the research and present my findings together with the evidence for my recommendation to follow a certain path.
How I operate
The first step is to communicate with you. Via email or phone. You can explain to me what you require and I will ensure that I understand your needs.
- I will then go away and look at your requirements and the available technologies that could meet them.
- I will then be back in touch and I will let you know how I think you should proceed, and what the reasons for my recommendation are.
- Possibly at this point I or we will have decided that we are not a match and I will wish you success and say goodbye.
- If we continue then we will agree on a time frame and budget for your project as it is presently defined.
- Once we both accept the scope of the project and the budget and time frame I will start development work.
- The first update will come within a week, regular updates are made daily/weekly until the project is completed.
- As the project develops you have the ability to fine tune it's appearance and operation. Anything that stays within the original scope is included in the original budget. If feature creep becomes an issue I will let you know immediately and give you an updated budget.
- If you are an established client I am happy to bill you in arrears.
- If you are a new client we establish our mutual trust as I bill 50% at the start and 50% on completion.
- For a long running project (>6months) billing will be on a monthly basis.
I'm the guy behind LampDatabase. Let me give you a brief summary of my life.
I love flying. I've been flying all kinds of aircraft since I was a teenager.
I started in the RAF Cadets at school.
By 16 I was flying Hang Gliders.
In my early 20's I started flying GA aircraft.
In my early 30's I was flying Hang Gliders with an engine.
In my mid 30's I was flying Ultralights and Microlights.
In my late 30's I was a multi engine rated commercial pilot.
After flying in a straight line got boring I became an aerobatic pilot.
In my 40's I became a paraglider pilot.
I now have many thousands of flight hours. What I learned over the years was that I fly for fun. If it's not a challenge and an adventure and fun, then it's not the sort of flying I am interested in. I just fly for fun and adventure these days, I will still do ferry flights though as they are always an adventure!.
- I am always learning new things.
- I was educated in the UK, but Australia has been my home for the last 20 years.
- I travel regularly for work and fun, I am often in Europe.
- I have been helping business as an IT consultant for over 20 years.
- I love learning new skills and as a result:
- I have specialised in systems integration.
- I ran a dedicated Apple Macintosh support business.
- I started a business providing a networked off-site backup solution.
- I developed a Linux based mesh networking system in the 1990's.
- I started a company that replaced old analogue communications equipment with digital equipment in the 1990's.
- I started the first wireless broadband ISP in Western Australia.
- I learned PHP around 2000 so that I could rapidly develop server based solutions for my clients.
- I learned C# and C++ around 2005 so that I could create stand alone desktop applications and software for embedded systems.
- I started an RFID timing company based around a self created software and hardware solution.
- I became a commercial pilot and ran my own business for years.
- I embraced HTML5 as a way of rapidly deploying flexible standards based solutions that will work on any platform.
- I realised how important my freedom is and so now I just take on projects that are interesting and enable me to live the life I aspire to.
Examples of some organisations I have worked with include: BankWest, Goldcorp, WA State Government, The Australian Ultra Runners Association, The Hang Gliding Federation of Australia, The North Eastern Victoria Hang Gliding Club. And numerous small businesses around the world.
I am happy to work remotely with English speaking business located anywhere in the world.
My Services and Charges
IT Consulting, charged by the hour. $150/Hr
Provided, by email, by phone or in person.
Includes any general IT advice for business covering:
Computer Hardware selection and purchasing recommendations. Computer Software fitness for purpose. Computer peripheral selection. Network design. Intranet recommendations. Internet solutions. Backup technologies & solutions.
On-Site Consulting or Development services. Charged by the day. $800/day
Software development with any of the technologies that I use.
Corporate rate for less than 10 hours $150/Hr
Corporate rate for > 10 hours $100/Hr
Small Business rate for less than 10 hours $100/Hr
Small Business rate for > 10 hours $75/HrNot for profit, Associations & Clubs and registered charities are charged at the Small Business rate.
- Setting up a Linux Virtual Private Server with Digital Ocean or Vultr.
- Setting up free SSL certificates from https://letsencrypt.org/ , including auto renewal so they never expire.
- Setting up a backup service for your server or any other machines. This can be cloud based or stored only on your private server. It is fully encrypted. It can be fully de-duplicated at a block level so that 100GB will only require 1-10GB of space. It can be in the form of incremental backups or a drive image.
- Setting up a secure Linux based email server, with IMAP and a SSL protected web based mobile friendly interface.
- Setting up a secure file server that can be accessed by Windows, Mac or Linux clients.
- Setting up a database server, optimised for speed, and backed up. Redundant cluster servers are also possible.
- Setting up a Domain Name Server, adding or changing DNS records.
- Checking your existing servers or network for security.
- Performance testing your servers and software and optimising for speed.
- Showing you how you can save thousands of dollars by moving from expensive software to open source solutions.
- Showing you how you can save thousands of dollars by moving from proprietary software to a custom written solution.
- Setting up Wordpress or Joomla Servers. Writing PHP modules for Wordpress.
- Modifying any PHP based software.
- Setting up a powerful and secure PHP based bulletin board and integrating it with your existing user database.
- Witing custom barcode reading and writing software. Creating custom RFID equipment and software.
- Creating long range wireless links for telemetary or data networks.
- Building custom software controlled brushless motor controllers.